Nasal Congestion in Tarzana
Nasal congestion, more commonly known as a "stuffy nose", refers to a situation where the nasal and surrounding tissues and blood vessels become inflamed, narrowing the nasal passages and filling them with excess nasal secretions, such that they become blocked. In some cases, you may experience a nasal discharge or "runny nose".
Nasal congestion makes you uncomfortable, affects your sound quality, and makes it difficult to breath. It can be caused by several factors, including:
- Acute and chronic sinus infections - bacterial, viral
- Deformed nasal septum or nose due to injury
- Enlarged adenoids
- Nasal tumors and foreign particles
- Allergic reactions - causing the release of histamine
- Vasomotor rhinitis - caused by psychological stress, irritants, inadequate thyroid function
Treatments for nasal congestion
The best treatment depends on the cause of the nasal congestion, so it's best that you visit an ENT specialist for diagnosis and treatment. A stuffy nose is a common symptom that can be caused by an assortment of different disorders. Only a specialist in nasal disorders can help you identify the best treatment for your specific causes.
Common treatments include:
- Nasal decongestants - saline solutions
- Surgery - for chronic sinusitis and nose deformities
- Allergy shots
Keep in mind that medical interventions are not the only way to relieve nasal congestion. Dr. Cohen may recommend a number of at-home remedies, such as moistening the interior air in your home using a humidifier. You should also drink plenty of fluids, including water to help liquefy secretions and make them mobile, and hot drinks to promote decongestion.
Please visit Dr. Cohen for a proper examination of your case and personalized advice.