Thyroid in Tarzana
Your thyroid gland is a small, bow tie-shaped endocrine gland that wraps around the front of your windpipe, in the middle of your lower neck, and just above your collarbone. Like other endocrine glands, namely the parathyroid glands, adrenal glands, pancreas, and the pituitary glands, the thyroid gland is responsible for producing hormones to regulate various physiological functions in your body, such as metabolism - sweating, heart rate, and energy consumed.
Thyroid gland diseases are very common, and affect millions of people across the world. Anyone can be affected, but patients with a family history or those who have had radiation therapy to the neck or head, like for adenoids or acne, are at greater risk of developing thyroid problems.
Some of the common thyroid problems include:
- Hyperthyroidism - due to an overactive gland. It causes toxic adenoma, toxic nodular goiter, or Graves' disease
- Hypothyroidism - due to an underactive gland. It causes Hashimoto's thyroiditis
- Goiter - enlarged thyroid due to either of the above conditions
Depending on the thyroid disorder, patients may experience significant swelling in the neck - enlarged thyroid - and difficulty breathing or swallowing.
Treatment for thyroid disorders
If you suspect that you have a thyroid disorder, Dr. Cohen will perform a number of tests to diagnose the specific problem. You can expect a review of your family medical history and:
- A radioactive thyroid scan
- Blood tests to check thyroid function
- Chest x-ray, MRI or CT scan, or ultrasound
- A fine-needle aspiration biopsy
Depending on the results of the tests, Dr. Cohen will prepare an appropriate treatment plan that may include:
- Thyroid hormone replacement pills - for hypothyroidism
- Medications - to stop excessive production
- Radioactive iodine - to reduce an enlarged gland
- Surgical removal of part or all of the thyroid gland
If you're looking for an ENT specialist in Tarzana to perform a complete thyroid gland examination, Dr. Cohen can help.